Title: Full-time Youth Services Librarian
Salary: Based upon experience
The Franklin Township Public Library in Gloucester County is seeking a friendly, customer service-oriented, creative, highly motivated, and enthusiastic full-time Youth Services Librarian. The successful candidate will plan, implement, and coordinate services, programs and events for children in preschool through grade 12. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Providing excellent customer service
- Supporting children with homework assignments
- Assisting children with book selection
- Answering reference questions of varying difficulty and explaining the use and availability of reference sources in all appropriate formats
- Instructing in the effective use of electronic resources for finding information
- Planning and facilitating creative library programs for children and their families
- Conducting storytimes, craft programs, and other activities
- Hosting juvenile and teen programs and activities as needed
- Fostering early childhood literacy and supporting family literacy
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with community organizations, schools, and the public
- Planning and providing outreach activities to schools and community organizations
Education: A master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution.
License: a valid New Jersey license as a professional librarian must be obtained within one (1) year of hire.
Candidate must be a resident of New Jersey as required by the New Jersey First Act and must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check.
Additionally, the successful candidate must have:
- Thorough knowledge of public library resources, services and programs for preschool through grade 12
- Experience working with children and teens
- Familiarity with children's literature and with modern library technologies, including downloadable and e-resources
- Ability to understand and interpret library policies
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public and other staff members
- Ability to organize work for efficient use of time
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
- Ability to keep records accurately
35 hours/week, including one night per week and one Saturday per month.
Residence in New Jersey is required by the “New Jersey First Act” (R.S.52:14-7). If you begin your office, position or employment on September 1, 2011 or later, you must reside in New Jersey. If you do not reside in New Jersey, you have one year after the date you take your office, position or employment to relocate your residence to New Jersey. If you do not do so, you are subject to removal from your office, position or employment. The Franklin Township Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please email a letter of interest, resume, and three references to Deborah Riether, Library Director, at email@example.com.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.